Lutheran World Missions, Inc.
1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20004
P.O. Box 400
Upper Marlboro, MD 20773
www.Lutheran World Missions.org
Lutheran World Missions is a 501(c)(3) non profit organization designated by the IRS. Contributions are appreciated and acknowledged.
The tradition of charitable giving is as old as Lutheranism itself. During the Reformation, Martin Luther called upon people to establish a “common chest” from which food, clothing and other necessities could be distributed to people in need.
Your Giving Preference
Make an immediate, outright charitable gift.
- Publicly traded securities (stocks and mutual funds)
- Real estate
- Closely held stock
BENEFITS TO YOU
- Receive an immediate charitable deduction.
- Bypass capital gain tax on the appreciation of securities, real estate and/or closely held stock owned for more than one year.
Make a deferred charitable gift, retaining flexibility and control of the gift asset while living
- Bequest through a will or living trust
- Beneficiary proceeds
- Retirement assets such as IRAs, tax-sheltered annuities, and 401(k) and 403 (b) plans
- Make a significant charitable gift upon your death.
- Life insurance
BENEFITS TO YOU
- Retain control over the assets while living.
- Designate all or a portion of the proceeds.
- Heirs avoid paying income and estate taxes on the assets.
- Immediate charitable deductions for premium payments when a foundation or non-profit is named owner and beneficiary.
- Retain ownership and control when the foundation or non-profit is a partial, sole or contingent beneficiary.
Give and Receive
Make a gift and receive income payments for life. The charitable benefit occurs upon your death.
- Charitable gift annuity with gift of cash or publicly traded securities (stocks and mutual funds). Make a gift and receive income payments for life or a term of years, or both. The charitable benefit occurs upon your death.
- Charitable remainder unitrust or annuity trust with gift of cash. Unitrusts offer additional gift options of real estate and closely held stock.
BENEFITS TO YOU
- Income payments for life, a portion of which is typically tax exempt.
- Begin receiving payments immediately or defer to a future date.
- Immediate charitable deduction.
- Bypass capital gain tax if you give securities or real estate on a set percentage and adjusted annually based on the value of your trust's assets. Annuity trust payments are for a fixed amount.
Always seek the advice of an attorney who specializes in Estates and Trusts when creating any Trust Fund.
Donors are encouraged to consult with legal or financial professionals for
advise relevant to their specific situation.
English Standard Version (ESV)
The Widow's Offering
21 Jesus[a] looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box,2 and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins.[b] 3 And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. 4 For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”